Saturday, April 2, 2011

Death by Sharpie

Today at Krav class we did knife fighting/sparring using sharpie markers and expendable tshirts.  Having some experience in this I did pretty well, I thought.  I faced the other two students a few times and an instructor once.  We went over general tactics, offensive specific and defensive specific strategies as well as how to avoid appearing as an aggressor and ending up in jail with charges if you didn't start with a knife but ended up with it.  During the sparring I got punched in the left side of my face twice, which was an eye opener since it has been a while since I got punched.  Not an eye opener as in "Oh crap that hurts really bad!" but more of an eye opener like "That did not hurt bad at all, I can take more than I thought I could."  I'm a little sore on the upper part of my jaw, but I'll survive.  I have what amounts to rug rash marks all over me from the continuous sparring, about 30 min worth.  There is some kind of sparring or aggressive technique practice at every class, which is refreshing because you get immediate feedback on whether or not it works correctly.  Additionally, it places an immense stressor to learn the move right.  We used this as a training technique when I was a Section Leader:  teaching the difference between cover and concealment is one thing.  Going to the paintball range to do force on force and test it is a whole different ball game.  You can also see it in how people act when opfor is using blanks; if they're using sim rounds the planning considerations and situational tactics become much more important to people.  In the end, pain retains.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Try to keep it professional.